Saturday, February 20, 2010

Kindergarten

Walking down the little school hallway - I am amazed that I have a child that belongs there. It's all so cute, the little decorations and awards and "Look what we made" things hanging along the hallway. Surreal to me. It seems not so long ago I wondered if I'd ever get the chance to be in the PTO or have a parent-teacher conference and now here I am. We are so blessed with Bubba's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Tracey. She is the ideal teacher for K...young, bubbly, full of spirit. She is a hugger and you can tell she really LOVES these kids. She especially loves Bubba - she thinks he is the funniest kid. At our parent-teacher conference the other day, she said simply "Nothing to tell - he's great!" He's one of the best readers in the class, which is impressive to her since most of the kids in his group are older than him since he has an April b/day...lots of the kids in the class are already 6. She says she never has to tell him things twice (now why can't it be that way at home??). She was meaning she only has to instruct him on a skill once and he's got it. He's also very creative...they have journals they have to write and draw in daily with little to no help from her. They have to write phonectically (did I spell that right??) which seems weird to me but it's working. His pages go from "I wish the war was over" (read - I wich the wr ws ovr) to "I am an alien (ALIN)who has a super (Sooper) Sucker" That one cracked me up. At least he has an array of thoughts, right? I just love being in his little class with the tiny chairs & tables, the block writing and centers...I wish I could just go sit one day, invisible, and watch my little miracle boy play and learn.

Kindergarten is almost over...unbelievable. She said he is more than ready for 1st grade.

I am so proud of him!

1 comment: